Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Celebrating Darcy! A decade in Second Life

Sometimes in Second Life,  you come across people that make you shake your head, or laugh so hard that you fall out of your chair.  Sometimes you meet people that make you do both of those, as well as smile every time you see them, inspire you with their words, their actions, their abilities.  I have been blessed to have met a lot of people in SL that amaze me just like that.  One of them is Darcy Woller, who is celebrating his rez-day TODAY!  It's a remarkably special rez-day, though.  He has been at this for 10 years.  That's right.  TEN.

Darcy (on the crate) with his friends Roland Dorado, Maximus Bade, and Sanda Horan - a long, long time ago!
Darcy (left) with his good friend Mistoffelees Nikolaidis.  As long as it's been, they're still friends, and Darcy wishes he could talk to him more often.
I nabbed Darcy yesterday and forced him to sit down and relax for a bit, and answer my questions!  Okay, so I didn't force him.  I lured him in with the promise of getting to see a really cool sim and of course, the added bonus of putting up with me.  It went a little bit like this:

Just a Whisper (Whispering Firelyte): In the years you've been in SL, and have seen things evolve, what has been the thing that keeps you coming back? 
Darcy (Darcy Woller): I love LEGOs, and SL predates Minecraft. Initially the draw to SL for me was the ability to build all sorts of things that I couldn't put together in real life and make them interactive. I never got into Minecraft, probably because my building fix has always been sated here, but that's a primary draw for me.
I'm also a longtime pen and paper RPG fan. I've played D&D [3.5e FOREVER!], Shadowrun, Pathfinder, and a number of other games. For a long time, SL was one of the few free-form RP destinations online. It offers something that conventional MMORPGs  do not, in that it allows total freedom of activity and is absolutely user-driven.
Those two are the main draws that SL has had for me, as a platform. However, as with most MMO communities, people drive the interest, and friendships I've made have been a big part of what has made SL rewarding for me.

Darcy now... sitting with me and relaxing.  He said that the pose with the book was a lot like him in the real world.
"Darcy (Darcy Woller): It's all super old and it's stuff I just loved so I kept using it." ~ on his style

So in 10 years, Darcy's evolution has led to the pictures above.  We chatted a little bit about his style, too.
Darcy (Darcy Woller): It was always my goal in SL to have Darcy reflect various aspects of myself in avatar form, at least physically. His look is basically mine, excepting the part that I don't use a mask to breathe or have rotating metal eyeballs. But the sort of military / goth / industrial look is largely how I dress.  So, once I get a particular look the way I want it, I don't often try to change it.
 Darcy is an amazing DJ, SL builder (ever hear of Anvil Works?) musician and writer, as well as a great friend.  He has a creative mind, a fun sense of humor, and a lot of integrity.  If you see him in-world, make sure you prod him and say HAPPY REZ-DAY!

The breakdown:

On Darcy:

Shape - His!
Hair Krima by 99elephants (couldn't find a store location)
Eyes - Cybereyes Roto by Bitter Thorns (no longer available)
Skin - Conjurer by Aitui 
Mask - Climatix Mask by AVZ 
Coat - Leather Jacket by Black Maria 
Shirt - Plain Shirt by The Abyss 
Pants - Black industrial jeans by Armidi 
Boots - Blasphemy by Sinistyle 

On Whisp:

Hair:  Exile - Pulse - Raven/Sin (2011 gift)
Skin:  Panda Punx - Anyka Skin - Star - Bronze
Shape:  Mine!
Eyes:  Insufferable Dastard - Thank You Gift
Hands/Feet:  Slink - F - Relaxed, High Feet
Shirt:  Plastik - Romanov - Skellectris
Pants:  Plastik - Elizabeth Mesh Pants - Storm

Taken at The Enchanted Forest Of The Beasts along with:

Popsicles:  CIRCA - Epicure Summer - Popsicle Bucket - Hot Pink - for FabFree 

The real Darcy Woller...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!

I love to hear from you!